What is Dyno Tuning?
Dyno tuning is a systematic approach to engine tuning.
Dyno tuning allows us to give your vehicle a tune-up of unparalleled quality, providing you with the smoothest, most economical performance possible from your vehicle.
- The first step to Dyno Tuning is to determine from the customer if the vehicle has any particular problems or points of concern, ie: gas mileage, surging, lack of power, hard starting (hot or cold), pinging, missing, etc.
- After the customer interview, we check the engine compression to determine if the engine is mechanically sound. At the same time, we make a visual inspection for obvious problems, such as broken vacuum lines, oil soaked, burned, or brittle plug wires, excessively dirty carburetor, etc.
- We then determine the proper heat range of spark plug to be used in your particular application. For example, a truck that is used primarily for hauling a trailer or camper would need a colder spark plug than an empty truck that is used primarily for commuting.
- The distributor is then removed and placed in a synchrograph, which is a machine for dynamically, and thoroughly, testing the distributor. After determining that the distributor is mechanically sound, we modify the centrifugal advance rate to improve engine responsiveness and pulling power, and set the vacuum advance to provide the maximum gas mileage. The ignition components are inspected, and replaced if necessary. Since the synchrograph tests the distributor under actual operating conditions, there is no doubt that it will function properly when installed in your vehicle. This process is called "recurving" the distributor.
- Next, we place your vehicle on the dynamometer, with the driving wheels on the dyno rollers. Your vehicle is tested with the engine running, in gear, and under various speeds and load conditions. While we are running these tests we monitor the engine performance by comparing the horse power transmitted to the drive wheels in relation to the amount of engine vacuum. Simultaneously, our Wide-Band Air/Fuel Monitor will be monitoring the carburetion to check each circuit of the carburetor. These circuits will then be changed to produce the maximum driveability and efficiency.
Here is peek at the process.
As the car is running we can see all the specifics. Monitoring the cars vitals allow us to find weak spots
From here we can print out and show you where your motor is performing at its best.